How to learn an electric guitar?
The electric guitar is a powerful and robust musical instrument which dominates every genre and style of music in the field of modern music. Learning an electric guitar is not a daunting task if you follow certain tips and tutorials. In this article, we are going to discuss how can you learn an electric guitar which you have purchased from a reputed music store in Brisbane.
Step 1: Buy the essential items
There are certain things that you need to purchase if you have a passion for learning an electric guitar. You need an electric guitar certainly along with a cable, a small amp, a guitar tuner, a capo, a guitar strap, and a few different guitar picks.
Step 2: know various parts of your guitar
Basics are the same for both acoustic and electric guitar. But learning an electric guitar is quite difficult than learning an acoustic guitar because electric guitars have more variables in play at any one time.
- Jack input: This is the part where you need to plug in your guitar lead. You can connect the other end of the lead to your amp.
- Tone and volume control: An electric guitar has 2-5 dials near to the bridge. These are your volume and tone controls. You can inactive some of these controls based on what pickup you select.
- Pickups: You can change the tone of your guitar by using different ‘pickups’. You can select the pickup which you want to use and which will give you a different tone. If your pickup selector is leaning towards the neck of the guitar, then you will get a warmer and more muffled tone. On the other hand, if the pickup selector is tilting away from the neck of the guitar, then a brighter and crisper tone will be produced.
- Whammy bar: You can press and release this to ‘wobble’ the tone of the guitar. This produces a tremolo effect.
- Machine heads: Turn machine heads to tune your string.
Step 3: Learn the names and numbers of your guitar string
This is an imperative thing for multiple reasons, but the two prime reasons are,
- To learn an electric guitar efficiently, you should able to read chord boxes and tabs.
- You need to communicate with other musicians and guitarists.
The guitar strings are: E A D G B E (from the thickest to the thinnest)
Step 4: Learn basic chords
You must know basic chords if you want to become a professional guitarist. For every chord you see, there is an easy version. In the beginning, you may not able to play chords like F or B. In this scenario, instead of getting frustrated, you must try to learn an easier version of the chord. First, start with the simple chords, and then gradually learn more difficult chord version.
Step 5: Learn how to create a good amp tone consistently
In the beginning, you can learn to play an electric guitar without an amp. But once you know some chords, then you can start using an amp.
The most striking difference between learning an acoustic guitar and trying to learn electric guitar is volume. To play electric guitar, you need to use amplifiers. It is not mandatory for you to use an amp, if you want to play an electric guitar without an amp it will be very silent. If you have a passion for an electric guitar and want to learn, then it is imperative for you to know how to get a pleasing tone from your guitar amplifier.
These are a few basic steps which will help you to learn an electric guitar effectively.
Music440 is a pre-eminent guitar shop Brisbane which used to deal with various types of guitars. This famous music shop in Brisbane provides unparalleled products and services to customers in Australia. The shop has an exceptionally knowledgeable team who will help you in every step so that you can get the best product at an affordable price.